Thursday, June 19, 2014

Transformation Thursday - #5

This has been a week of stress and challenges.  We're going through some home repairs and renovations right now, and it seems like our little house is turned upside down and inside out.  My dear husband is doing a lot of the work and in the meantime I'm trying to keep the kiddos busy and out of his hair.  A lot of times that means we're not in the house, we're on the go.  Going to the park or the library or walking around the grocery store, anywhere but home where the temptation to pickup daddy's tape measure might overcome them.  When life turns upside down, dieting and exercise gets hard, and this week was majorly difficult.
 
 
I'm proud to say that I didn't succumb to stress eating.  My past self would have binged on snacks or calorie filled coffee drinks.  Not this time!  This time was sort of the opposite problem.  I was away from home, I didn't want to eat fast food, so I didn't eat.  I came in under calorie many days this week.  Eating too few calories is almost just as bad as eating too many.  You body doesn't understand why you're not providing it fuel, so it can go in to starvation mode and cling to the fat you're so desperately trying to lose - so I've been told.  Ugh.  Not what I want.  Yay for not stress eating, boo for not eating enough.  Never would have imagined I'd encounter THAT problem!
 
Exercising, also a challenge this week.  I try to fit in my exercise after the kiddos are in bed, but we were busy so many nights this week that I just didn't get the time.  And when I could find the time, the weather wasn't cooperating.  As a result, I didn't hit my exercise minutes goal this week.  When I did get to fit in some movement, I tried to make it count.  I added some miles and hills to my bike route one night and rode over 17 miles.  And I started the Couch to 5k program.  I'm not a runner, but I'm loving this program.  I put an app on my phone that tells me when to change pace and keeps track of what day I'm on in the plan.  This week, I really missed not being on my bike so much or going for long walks.  As I've said in a few prior posts, I'm really enjoying adding fitness to my lifestyle and I miss it when I don't get to spend that little bit of time on myself throughout the week.
 
 
So this week wasn't so great.  Full of good intentions, but lack of time and stress got the better of me a lot of the time.  And I'm a realist, I understand that LIFE is going to happen and sometimes our diet or exercise regime takes a backseat.  What's important is that I'm taking time each week to recognize what went wrong and what went right over the past week, and how can I do better next week.  Since we're still in the midst of home stuff, this next week I'm going to try and plan more.  I need to plan my meals so I don't get caught without something healthy to eat, especially if we're going to be away from home.  I also need to plan time for exercise, even if that means working through a Jillian Michaels exercise video - I'd much, much, much rather be outside, but if it's my only option for the day then I'll hang with Jillian.
 
Okay Jillian, I get it.
Okay, without further ado, here are my numbers from this week:
 
Calories Burned: 2,335 (goal of 1,520 per week)
Exercise Minutes: 135 minutes (goal of 250 minutes per week)
Pounds Lost This Week: 0.2
New Weight: 166.4
Total Pounds Lost: 25.6
 
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with those numbers this week.  It's hard having a big loss one week, and a puny one the next week.  But I'm not going to let it keep me down!  My mind is still set on the finish line and I'm 0.2 pounds closer to my goal!  Let's look at the big picture: I started blogging about my weight loss journey on May 22nd - just 4 weeks ago.  On that day I weighed 174 pounds and pledged to lose and blog about it.  Since then I've lost 7.6 pounds - that's an average loss of 1.9 pounds a week.  That is definitely a victory!  I attribute a lot of that to staying accountable and knowing that each week I'm going to have to tell the world about my choices for the week.  This little blog has helped a ton. And on a non-scale victory note, my clothes are too big!  I may need to hit up a few garage sales this weekend and look for some summer shorts because the ones I have are gapping in the waist all around and I keep having to hike them up.  I'm okay with that!  So, just because this week didn't go as planned doesn't mean next week can't be awesome.  Hope your next week is filled with healthy choices and awesomeness too!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment