Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Best Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies



We're having a rare 68 degree summer day here in Michigan.  I make it no secret that summer is not my favorite season.  I'd much rather enjoy the crisp autumn air and be able to feel the cool breeze blowing through my house as I bake up a storm.  So on these days when Michigan does what it does best, weird weather, I put on some comfy clothes, open the windows wide, and bake all day!
I received a request to bake some cookies for next week - as if I need an excuse!  I decided to get out my very best peanut butter cookie recipe.  My cookie tin is bare too, so some of these cookies will be staying home and some will hop in to the freezer until they are needed next week.  Have you ever frozen cookies?  I haven't, but I'm told they'll taste just fine when they're thawed out next week.  I can tell you that fresh from the oven, these cookies are the bomb!
This cookie is an adaptation on a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com (original can be found here).  With a little tweaking, I do declare this recipe is perfect!


The cookies are lightly browned on the bottoms, and soft through the center.  And absolutely loaded with peanut butter flavor!  These cookies stayed soft in my cookie tin for days..........well, I can tell you they stayed soft for at least two days, but beyond that I can't say because my family devoured them in that time. :)
My kiddos enjoyed them with a mug of milk, and my daughter announced they were the best peanut butter cookies ever!  And there's oats in them too - that means they're healthy right?  Of course!  Have two!  If you're experiencing unseasonably chilly weather, or you just want to scarf down some of the best cookies ever, give these a try!



Best Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup extra crunchy peanut butter (I used Jif)
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 (10 oz.) package peanut butter chips (I used Reece's)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugars, vanilla, and peanut butter.  Add eggs one at a time, and mix until thoroughly combined.
3. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.  Stir in oats.  Stir flour and oats mixture in to the butter and sugar mixture; stir until combined and batter is evenly mixed.
4. Add peanut butter chips and stir until combined.
5. Use a medium cookie scoop or drop by the rounded teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake for 12 minutes, or until bottoms of the cookies are just browned but tops are still soft.  Cool on pans for 2 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment